- About Us
- Visual Arts
- Dance Department Schedules
- ECA Dance Dept. Important Dates
- 2017-2018 Dancer Handbook
- Curriculum Arc 2017-18
- Dance Department Photo Gallery
- Dance Department Performance Highlights
- Creative Writing
- School Forms
- College and Scholarship Information
- HUSKY Health & Access Health CT Information
- For Students
- The Little Theatre
- ACES International
- ACES ECA International Admissions Initiative
- Welcoming International Students to ACES ECA
- ACES ECA Application for International Enrollment 2017-18
- Important Information for Completion by International Families
- ECA Global 2016 Student Exchange to China
- ECA Global 2016 Photo Gallery Student Exchange to China
- ECA Faculty Global China Exchange April 2015
- ECA Global China Exchange March 2015
- ECA Global Partnership: Shanghai Theatre Academy Affiliated Senior High School as highlighted by Principal Ying-Xiao
- ECA Global Partnership: Sister School Shanghai Theatre Academy Affiliated High School Visits ECA! July 2015
- Intercultural Arts Programs and ECA Global
- ECA Intercultural Arts - The International Silat Federation of Indonesia & America
- School Forms
Welcome ECA Families!
SEPTEMBER 2017 UPDATE TO FAMILIES
ECA has obtained a Certified Physical Education teacher! Classes will be scheduled between 1:00 and 4:00PM on Wednesdays. This has been implemented to safeguard student graduation requirements in their sending schools and add support to attendance at ECA. Students that require this class are asked to complete the form for scheduling purposes (attached). Students that do not require PE credit at this time are not allowed to enroll in order to provide opportunity for those students with the greatest need.
The annual ECA Global tour to China will take place April 13-22. This year, the study tour will not only include visits to our sister schools in Shanghai and Beijing, but also include an immersive visit to Hangzhou. The city of Hangzhou will highlight cultural and archaeological learning as we explore the arts through the preservation of ancient artifacts.
In Beijing, students will explore the 798 Art Zone, walk the Great Wall, explore the center of Beijing’s ancient city, and visit with our partner, The Beijing Music Conservatory.
In Shanghai, after we visit with our partner school, The Shanghai Theatre Academy, we will experience the financial center and pursue the outer districts of Shanghai away from the tourists to experience local culture and society through their village street markets.
Cost is $2,650.00 for an all-inclusive study tour including:
- Round trip economy airfare
- In-country transportation, including full-time driver
- Visa application and processing
- 4 star hotels with American and Chinese breakfasts
- 3 meals a day with one beverage at each meal
- In-country guides and historians
- ECA Supervisory Team
- Culture Preparatory Workshops (Language; Societal Expectations; Cultural Awareness; Packing and Travel Strategies)
Informational Meeting for all families and students: Thursday, Sept 14 at 5:30, Arts Hall.
ACES ECA GLOBAL 2018 Study Tour Brochure
ECA Global will take its first trip to Australia in 2019. Information on this study tour will arrive in October. The Australia Study Tour will take place every two years to allow families and students to save and fundraise for reasons of affordability.
Needed: ECA Host Family for International ECA Student. We are looking for a family in the New Haven area that would like to share their home and culture with a 17 year old male visual arts student accepted to ECA from Shanghai. The homestay family receives a monthly stipend. Inquiries can be directed to Jason Hiruo at email@example.com.
The Visual Arts Department is seeking 35mm Film Cameras and Digital Cameras. Contributions are tax deductible. Contributions and/or inquiries can be directed to Paul Duda, firstname.lastname@example.org.
FALL FREE FOR ALL at ECA: September 23, 12:00-4:00PM. We are looking for student representatives to join us at this promotional event on Audubon Street to highlight our school, show off student achievement in the Arts, and represent our departments to inquiring families who are interested in ECA. Student volunteers will be provided community service hours. Other organizations joining us for this event are: Yale Peabody Museum; Yale-China Association; Neighborhood Music School; The Arts Council of Greater New Haven.
The Theatre Department is excited to begin another artistically energized year! Acting classes include: Acting Techniques I, Contemporary Scene Study, Modern Scene Study and Comedic Styles. On Tuesdays and Thursdays students will take classes in Voice and Speech, Intro to Theatre, Movement, Improvisation, Origins of Theatre and College Prep. Besides competing in the English Speaking Union Shakespeare Competition, this year, students will also participate in the National August Wilson Monologue Competition in collaboration with Long Wharf Theatre.
ECA will be featured in its first Commercial on NBC this Fall. The marketing team and NBC Director will be on hand September 20th to film and capture our school in action. If a student does not desire to be included in footage or NBC’s interview process, we ask for parent notification to email@example.com. Camera crews will tour ECA, film classes, and speak with representatives of our school community. This commercial will help us promote ECA as an arts-centered school, generate awareness for arts education, and allow our programs to shine.
The Visual Arts Department announces its first Student Exhibit of the year on Wednesday, October 25th. Opening Reception is from 5:00pm – 7:00pm
The Music Department announces:
- Joseph Lampo, Music Department Senior, was accepted to the NAfME National Honor Band. Joe will perform with the National Honor Band on Baritone Sax, at Disneyworld, in Orlando, Florida, this November.
- Ricardo Lucas Hernandez has been accepted into the Julliard Pre-College Program on voice. He will begin this full year with intense musical training this September 9.
- Four ECA students were accepted into the NHSO Young Composers Project, a two-year program to nurture young composers. David Caldarella, Anton Kot, Anastasia Miller, & Pam Zhang will work closely with composer Michael Brown and musicians in the NHSO.
- ECA Vocalists will attend the UCONN Young Conductors Symposium, on Thursday, September 14. Students will work with UCONN professors Dr. Jamie Spillane, Dr. Mary Ellen Junda, & Dr. Cara Bernard in workshops and rehearsals for a day long intensive choral seminar.
- All ECA music students will attend opening night at the NHSO on Thursday, Sept. 28.
- ECA vocalist Olivia Fonteyn will perform the National Anthem at the New Britain Bees game this Saturday, Sept. 9 in recognition of “ACES Day at the Bees”.
The Creative Writing Department announces their first public reading for family and friends: February 1, 2018, 7:00-9:00 p.m. Call-time for students is 6:00 p.m. The attendance of all CW students is required.
The Creative Writing department congratulates ECA writers Daniel Kuriakose and Ana Blanchett, both of whom were chosen in a statewide competition to read their poetry at the Sunken Garden Poetry Festival.
October 4: Tufts University 1:30PM
Clark University 2:15PM
October 17: Berklee School of Music 2:00PM
October TBD: University of Connecticut
Attention Parents: Passwords and sign-in information for the Powerschool parent portal will be mailed to parents the week of September 15th.
Powerschool information: Parents may access powerschool through the parent portal. Letters are sent out to parents during the month of September with passwords and log-in information. Some grading for departments will not be posted until report cards are released. If you should have any concerns or questions regarding your student’s progress, please do not hesitate to contact the teacher or school counselor.
The ACES 2015-2016 Parent Student Handbook can be found on the ACES main website at http://www.aces.org/about/publications-policies/parent-student-handbook.
Also, all updated forms, including student health, free and reduced meal information, and media release forms can be found on the ACES main website at http://www.aces.org/about/publications-policies/aces-forms.
Please click on the following link to read about the latest exciting developments at ECA: Director's Newsletter
Grades: ECA Report cards are quarterly and progress reports are usually sent if there is a need for the teacher to communicate to a parent mid-term. Once our grades close and have been processed, ECA will send those grades to the sending school to be incorporated into their high school transcript. In addition, ECA has our own transcript which lists all courses and grades from each year. For Seniors applying to college, ECA will send transcripts directly to those schools or can send a transcript to the sending school Counselor to be included with other student materials. For procedures on sending transcripts, please click on the following link: Transcript Requests
An Important Message from Director Jason Hiruo for all Families of ECA:
The success of ECA is not solely based on a specific arts education, but in how we continue to help students further their individuality, creativity, and inner-confidence.
Together, we value the arts.
We use the arts as a vehicle to further skills of innovation, problem-solving, collaboration, and critical thinking.
We use the arts to advance empathy, voice, self-esteem, and citizenry.
We love the arts because it reminds us of who we are as we support our future.
We value the arts, and this is why we are here –
for our students,
for the school,
for the importance of instilling the arts in the lives of children.
Best wishes to the ECA Class of 2017!
An Important Message from PACE for all Families of ECA
PACE takes on an urgent new task: Supporting ECA's Outreach and Recruitment Efforts
Please coordinate with your district's liaison and promote ECA at your former Junior High School. Your talented ECA student is the best advertisement. Talk about your ECA experience to prospective students and their parents. Distribute ECA brochures which you can get from the Guidance Office. For questions: contact us
New Scholarship and College information available on the
College Scholarship and Information Page under the
Guidance Dept. as of June 2, 2015
Check regularly throughout the year for updates!
A Great New Opportunity!
ECA students have the ability to use Career Cruising to search for colleges and take interest inventories. Juniors are currently meeting with Julie to work on college searches, however, all ECA students have access to this comprehensive site. Please use the link below and use your ECA log-in information. (Your student ECA e-mail and your internet access code)
A Great Opportunity: Amazon Smile
ECA and PACE are collaborating to combine efforts, elevating our fundraising to benefit our students further.
Every resource adds to our learning programs, which will now be possible with Amazon Smile. It's just like shopping at Amazon.
- Click on, http://smile.amazon.com/ch/30-0804769
- Sign in with your username and password
- Select Parents for Arts Centered Education as your favorite charity
- Change your bookmark to Amazon Smile, and 0.5% of your purchase will go to ECA!!!
International Host Family Program
- If you are interested in learning more about ECA's international host family program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. ECA is investigating the potential for a semester long exchange program with our sister schools in Shanghai, Kyoto, and Sydney. Participating host families would receive a monthly stipend of $850.
WANTED: Used SLR Cameras for Photography Class!
Please donate your old 50mm Single Lens Reflex (SLR) Cameras
to the ECA Photography Class!
We need them ASAP for special photography projects.
Please drop them off at the ECA Main Office
In exchange for your donation,
we can offer you a letter for tax deduction purposes!
The Photography Class Thanks You!
Quick Links and Forms: