Welcome to the Director's Newsletter page. Please click on the links below to keep updated about exciting developments at ECA.
An Important Message from Director Jason Hiruo:
SEPTEMBER 2017 UPDATE TO FAMILIES
ECA has obtained a Certified Physical Education teacher! Classes will be scheduled between 1:00 and 4:00 p.m. on Wednesdays. This has been implemented to safeguard student graduation requirements in their sending schools and add support to attendance at ECA. Students that require this class are asked to complete the form for scheduling purposes (attached). Students that do not require PE credit at this time are not allowed to enroll in order to provide opportunity for those students with the greatest need.
Register: Registration for ACES ECA Physical Education
The annual ECA Global tour to China will take place April 13-22, 2018. This year, the study tour will not only include visits to our sister schools in Shanghai and Beijing, but also include an immersive visit to Hangzhou. The city of Hangzhou will highlight cultural and archaeological learning as we explore the arts through the preservation of ancient artifacts.
In Beijing, students will explore the 798 Art Zone, walk the Great Wall, explore the center of Beijing’s ancient city, and visit with our partner, The Beijing Music Conservatory.
In Shanghai, after we visit with our partner school, The Shanghai Theatre Academy, we will experience the financial center and pursue the outer districts of Shanghai away from the tourists to experience local culture and society through their village street markets.
Cost is $2,650.00 for an all-inclusive study tour including:
- Round trip economy airfare
- In-country transportation, including full-time driver
- Visa application and processing
- 4 star hotels with American and Chinese breakfasts
- 3 meals a day with one beverage at each meal
- In-country guides and historians
- ECA Supervisory Team
- Culture Preparatory Workshops (Language; Societal Expectations; Cultural Awareness; Packing and Travel Strategies)
Informational Meeting for all families and students: Thursday, Sept 14, 2017 at 5:30, Arts Hall.
ECA Global will take its first trip to Australia in 2019. Information on this study tour will arrive in October. The Australia Study Tour will take place every two years to allow families and students to save and fundraise for reasons of affordability.
Needed: ECA Host Family for International ECA Student. We are looking for a family in the New Haven area that would like to share their home and culture with a 17 year old male visual arts student accepted to ECA from Shanghai. The homestay family receives a monthly stipend. Inquiries can be directed to Jason Hiruo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Visual Arts Department is seeking 35mm Film Cameras and Digital Cameras. Contributions are tax deductible. Contributions and/or inquiries can be directed to Paul Duda, email@example.com.
FALL FREE FOR ALL at ECA: September 23, 2017, 12:00-4:00 p.m. We are looking for student representatives to join us at this promotional event on Audubon Street to highlight our school, show off student achievement in the Arts, and represent our departments to inquiring families who are interested in ECA. Student volunteers will be provided community service hours. Other organizations joining us for this event are: Yale Peabody Museum; Yale-China Association; Neighborhood Music School; The Arts Council of Greater New Haven.
The Theatre Department is excited to begin another artistically energized year! Acting classes include: Acting Techniques I, Contemporary Scene Study, Modern Scene Study and Comedic Styles. On Tuesdays and Thursdays students will take classes in Voice and Speech, Intro to Theatre, Movement, Improvisation, Origins of Theatre and College Prep. Besides competing in the English Speaking Union Shakespeare Competition, this year, students will also participate in the National August Wilson Monologue Competition in collaboration with Long Wharf Theatre.
ECA will be featured in its first Commercial on NBC this Fall. The marketing team and NBC Director will be on hand September 20, 2017 to film and capture our school in action. If a student does not desire to be included in footage or NBC’s interview process, we ask for parent notification to firstname.lastname@example.org. Camera crews will tour ECA, film classes, and speak with representatives of our school community. This commercial will help us promote ECA as an arts-centered school, generate awareness for arts education, and allow our programs to shine.
The Visual Arts Department announces its first Student Exhibit of the year on Wednesday, October 25th. Opening Reception is from 5:00pm – 7:00pm
The Music Department announces:
- Joseph Lampo, Music Department Senior, was accepted to the NAfME National Honor Band. Joe will perform with the National Honor Band on Baritone Sax, at Disneyworld, in Orlando, Florida, this November.
- Ricardo Lucas Hernandez has been accepted into the Julliard Pre-College Program on voice. He will begin this full year with intense musical training this September 9, 2017.
- Four ECA students were accepted into the NHSO Young Composers Project, a two-year program to nurture young composers. David Caldarella, Anton Kot, Anastasia Miller, & Pam Zhang will work closely with composer Michael Brown and musicians in the NHSO.
- ECA Vocalists will attend the UCONN Young Conductors Symposium, on Thursday, September 14, 2017. Students will work with UCONN professors Dr. Jamie Spillane, Dr. Mary Ellen Junda, & Dr. Cara Bernard in workshops and rehearsals for a day long intensive choral seminar.
- All ECA music students will attend opening night at the NHSO on Thursday, Sept. 28, 2017.
- ECA vocalist Olivia Fonteyn will perform the National Anthem at the New Britain Bees game this Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017 in recognition of “ACES Day at the Bees”.
The Creative Writing Department announces their first public reading for family and friends: February 1, 2018, 7:00-9:00 p.m. Call-time for students is 6:00 p.m. The attendance of all CW students is required.
The Creative Writing department congratulates ECA writers Daniel Kuriakose and Ana Blanchett, both of whom were chosen in a statewide competition to read their poetry at the Sunken Garden Poetry Festival.
2017 College Visits:
|October 4:||Tufts University||1:30PM|
|October 17:||Berklee School of Music||2:00PM|
|October TBD:||University of Connecticut||TBD|
All the world’s a stage, and ACES Educational Center for the Arts has a signed agreement to prove it. On Wednesday, June 14, 2017, representatives from Chivast Education International, an affiliate of the Chinese Service Center for Scholarly Exchange, met with ACES ECA officials to sign an agreement allowing for an exchange program that would allow several Chinese students to attend the arts-focused magnet school for a year. CSCSE is part of the Chinese Ministry of Education.
Read the full article by Brian Zahn in the NH Register by clicking on the following link: http://www.nhregister.com/social-affairs/20170614/aces-eca-in-new-haven-formalizes-partnership-with-chinese-ministry-of-education
Read more in the NH Independent by clicking on the following link: http://www.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/china-connecticut_exchange/
Watch the interview on WTNH NEWS Channel 8 by clicking on the following link: http://wtnh.com/2017/06/20/new-haven-magnet-school-partners-with-china-for-exposure-to-arts/
Dear ECA Community,
- A new student service project-learning tour will take place in November 2017. This experience offers students the opportunity to experience cultural immersion AND volunteerism with peers demonstrating global citizenry as we visit four charity schools for disadvantaged students. In addition, participants experience the world's greatest archaeological dig! Students can gain community service hours, cultural competency credit, and utilize their experience for college applications. Service Project-Learning Tour November 2017
Students seeking experience and community service hours can participate in the Arts & Ideas Festival this summer https://docs.google.com/a/aces.org/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdiHBDp3ZamPADN37Lvcf2KcG7FeQjcZRddCVRzNrM-5RqmNw/viewform?c=0&w=1
ECA and PACE are collaborating to combine efforts, elevating our fundraising to benefit our students further.
Every resource adds to our learning programs, which will now be possible with Amazon Smile. It's just like shopping at Amazon.
- Click on, http://smile.amazon.com/ch/30-0804769
- Sign in with your username and password
- Select Parents for Arts Centered Education as your favorite charity
- Change your bookmark to Amazon Smile, and 0.5% of your purchase will go to ECA!!!
International Host Family Program
- If you are interested in learning more about ECA's international host family program, please email email@example.com. ECA is investigating the potential for a semester long exchange program with our sister schools in Shanghai, Kyoto, and Sydney. Participating host families would receive a monthly stipend of $850.
The success of ECA is not solely based on a specific arts education, but in how we continue to help students further their individuality, creativity, and inner-confidence.
Together, we value the arts.
We use the arts as a vehicle to further skills of innovation, problem-solving, collaboration, and critical thinking.
We use the arts to advance empathy, voice, self-esteem, and citizenry.
We love the arts because it reminds us of who we are as we support our future.
We value the arts, and this is why we are here –
for our students,
for the school,
for the importance of instilling the arts in the lives of children.