The ECA Dance Department offers high school students rigorous, comprehensive dance training from the three perspectives of creator, performer, and critical observer. In a diverse learning environment, students gain a strong foundation in classical and contemporary dance techniques.
Our particular concentration on choreography encourages students to develop an individual artistic voice. Practicing professional artists make up the permanent faculty and visiting guest artists provide further enrichment to students in contemporary, historical and world dance forms.
To apply for Admission to the Dance Department, please visit the Application Process Page and click the button below to find the requirements for your Dance Review.
- PROFESSIONAL REPERTORY:
- The ECA dance department continues its commitment to offer opportunities for our students to perform professional contemporary and historical dance choreography. This year we are thrilled to bring 2 incredible dances to ECA ~
- Tiffany Rea Fisher, artistic director of Elisa Monte Dance, will be setting her work Newton’s Cradle (2016) in the 3rd quarter. This choreography will be performed by 2nd, 3rd and 4th year dancers at our New Dances performance in March. We received a generous grant from the ACES Foundation to bring contemporary professional choreography to ECA dancers (Please thank the Foundation board by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org). Tiffany Rea Fisher is a renowned modern dance choreographer and, along with her company members, has taught many master classes over the years at ECA. We are excited to now have the opportunity to bring her choreography.
- Link to view Newton’s cradle - http://www.elisamontedance.org/newtons-cradle
- Link to Tiffany Rea Fisher’s biography - http://www.elisamontedance.org/about/directors/tiffany-rea-fisher
- Link to Elisa Monte Dance - http://www.elisamontedance.org
PHOTO: Eric Bandiero
- Alberto del Saz, director of the Nikolais/Louis Foundation, will set Alwin Nikolais’ Tensile Involvement (1955) in the 3rd quarter. This choreography will be also be performed by 2nd, 3rd and 4th year dancers at our New Dances performance in March. This exciting work is a visual masterpiece and an historically significant piece of modern dance choreography. It’s also one of Nikolais’ most famous works. Since its premiere in 1955, Tensile Involvement has been set on many professional dance companies. In those 63 years only two other high schools have enjoyed this privilege. We are thrilled that ECA will be the third!
CHOREOGRAPHER: ALWIN NIKOLAIS
Photo: Tori Duhaime
- Link to view Tensile Involvement - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfxsFTDWWnw
- Link to Alwin Nikolais’ biography - http://allaboutalwin.blogspot.com/2012/02/brief-biography.html
- Link to Alberto del Saz’s website - https://www.albertodelsaz.com
New Dances: 2019 ECA Faculty Repertory
March 13 & 14 @7pm
The Arts Hall
ACES Educational Center for the Arts
New Haven, CT 06510