- About Us
- Theatre Performance Highlights
- Theatre Dept Gallery of Production Photos
- A Night at the Improv - Ever Chasing Alchemy
- Henrik Ibsen's Peer Gynt
- Winterfest 2015
- CABE/CAPSS Conference Performance
- 15th Annual Student Cabaret
- Ever Chasing Alchemy -- A Night at the Improv Featuring ECA Alumni! Thursday, July 9th, 7pm The Little Theatre
- Neil Simon's Fools
- The Education Project
- Death Dances the Tarantella
- Visual Arts
- Upcoming Events 2016-17
- ANIKAYA Dance Theater Residency
- Dance Department Schedules
- 2016-2017 Dancer Handbook
- Dance Department Parent Handbook
- Curriculum Arc 2016-17
- Dance Department Photo Gallery
- Dance Department Performance Highlights
- Creative Writing
- School Forms
- College and Scholarship Information
- HUSKY Health & Access Health CT Information
- For Students
- The Little Theatre
- ACES International
- ACES ECA International Admissions Initiative
- Welcoming International Students to ACES ECA
- ACES ECA Application for International Enrollment 2017-18
- Important Information for Completion by International Families
- ECA Global 2016 Student Exchange to China
- ECA Global 2016 Photo Gallery Student Exchange to China
- ECA Faculty Global China Exchange April 2015
- ECA Global China Exchange March 2015
- ECA Global Partnership: Shanghai Theatre Academy Affiliated Senior High School as highlighted by Principal Ying-Xiao
- ECA Global Partnership: Sister School Shanghai Theatre Academy Affiliated High School Visits ECA! July 2015
- Intercultural Arts Programs and ECA Global
- ECA Intercultural Arts - The International Silat Federation of Indonesia & America
- School Forms
The ECA Theatre Department provides advanced level, pre-professional training under the tutelage of practicing professional theatre artists. The curriculum models that of a college conservatory training program whereby students:
study established and emerging methods and techniques in the areas of acting, movement, and voice and speech;
survey notable plays, playwrights, and styles throughout history, honing their skills of analysis and criticism;
explore playwriting, stage management, directing, technical theatre and design;
develop and create original work including theatre for social change; and
engage in workshops led by prominent master teaching artists.
The Theatre department strives to bring the finest work to the stage, all the while with a committed respect of the artistic process, and a strong emphasis on collaboration and ensemble work. As a result, students acquire knowledge and develop communication skills that will prepare them for post-secondary and professional careers. Students’ lives are enriched by the study, performance and appreciation of theatre within a diverse learning environment.
The ECA Music Department offers high school musicians immersion in a rigorous, comprehensive music curriculum, that includes academic coursework in multiple levels of music theory, musicianship, composition, and instrumental/vocal technique, as well as experience in both small and large performing ensembles whose repertoire spans numerous genres and styles. ECA’s unique focus on collaborative work between young musicians and practicing artists establishes a pre-professional environment that requires focus, commitment, and responsibility, and nurtures the development of technical skill and artistry. The ECA program is enlarged and infused by partnerships with arts organizations, visiting artist programs, and performance opportunities, as well as collaborative projects with students and artists of other artistic disciplines at ECA.
Visual Arts Department
The ECA Visual Arts Department offers students the opportunity to work with professional artists in a studio setting. Twenty-seven foundation and special topics courses are offered each year in a variety of media, including sculpture, printmaking, video, darkroom photography, digital photography, painting and drawing. The art department constantly cultivates the exchange of creative ideas with critiques, lectures, gallery and museum trips and visiting guest artists. Art students expand their visual communication vocabulary, critical thinking and problem solving skills, independent initiative, and craftsmanship and technical abilities, while making personally expressive artwork.
The ECA Dance Department offers high school students rigorous, comprehensive dance training from the three perspectives of creator, performer, and critical observer. In a diverse learning environment, students gain a strong foundation in classical and contemporary dance techniques. Our particular concentration on choreography encourages students to develop an individual artistic voice. Practicing professional artists make up the permanent faculty and visiting guest artists provide further enrichment to students in contemporary, historical and world dance forms.
Creative Writing Department
The ECA writers learn to create work in a range of literary genres, including poetry, fiction, memoir, humor, and playwriting. Because serious writers are serious readers, students also learn how to read as writers do – gaining an understanding not only of what literary works mean but of how they were made. Literature studied in the department is primarily contemporary and representative of diverse cultures.
Classes are taught by professional writers recognized in their fields. They support students in their undertaking of the creative process, from first draft to final polished product. Students also benefit from the feedback of fellow students in the context of ongoing writers’ workshops.